Visit Sunshine Coast (VSC), understands and appreciates that visitors to and users of this website (you/your) are concerned about their privacy and the confidentiality and security of any information that may be provided to us. We endeavour to protect user privacy in compliance with the Australian Privacy Principles (APP).
Protecting your privacy
We are committed to protecting your personal information and complying with our obligations under the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (Privacy Act) and other State and Territory laws governing the use of personal information (collectively, Privacy Laws) which regulate how personal information is handled from collection to use and disclosure, storage, access and disposal.
Personal information generally means any kind of information in any form about a person that identifies that person and includes sensitive information.
Further information about the application of the Privacy Act can be found at the website of the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner at www.privacy.gov.au.
• All current and past members of VSC whose personal information we have collected;
• All individuals whose personal information is collected in relation to the products and services offered by VSC;
• All individuals whose personal information is collected by us in the course of our functions and activities such as service providers, contractors and prospective employees.
The nature of the personal information we may collect from you;
How we manage the personal information that we collect, use and disclose;
How to contact us if you if:
• Have any questions about our management of your personal information; or
• Would like to access or correct the personal information we hold about you; or
• Would like to lodge a complaint with us regarding our compliance with Privacy Laws.
The information we may collect
As part of our function, VSC facilitates the booking of travel and holidays, provides opportunities for tourism operators to market and promote their services, and provides a number of other travel-related services in the pursuit of providing the best experience for our customer. VSC also collects personal information for specific market research and to determine if there are any demographic trends in the way consumers use travel information and book travel products.
The types of personal information we may collect include:
• Identifying information such as name, date of birth and employment details;
• Contact information such as home and business addresses, phone numbers, postal addresses and email addresses;
• Government-issued identifiers including ACNs and ABNs;
• Financial information, such as credit card details and bank account details;
• Biometric information and templates, such as voice recognition information;
• Information about activities, including leisure and other lifestyle interests; and
• Information about involvement in other programs you participate in or memberships you may have;
We may collect your personal information from various sources including:
• You or from a person authorised to provide us this information on your behalf; and
• Third parties such as a service provider engaged by us or a third party who partners with us.
We only record information that we reasonably require to do business with you. Your full name, address, postal address, email address and phone number are taken each time you make a booking through our website and/or whenever you submit a query or suggestion, or request assistance with a booking or join Visit Sunshine Coast as a member. This is to ensure we can provide the most convenient and effective service to you, both now and in the future.
We may collect your personal information in order to send you our free e-Newsletters containing travel, holiday information and special offers and information relating to tourism development. Any personal information that you provide to us for the purposes of receiving e-Newsletters can be deleted at any time by unsubscribing from the e-Newsletter using the ‘unsubscribe’ link in the newsletter or by contacting us via email at [email protected]
You generally have the right not to identify yourself when dealing with us where it is lawful and practicable for us to allow it. However, on some occasions we may not be able to do this.
If you do not provide or authorise the provision of personal information we request, we may be unable to provide you with some or all of our products and services, or the product and services of our trading partners.
How we may use or share your information
We may use your personal details in any of the following ways:
• Responding to and fulfilling your requests for our products and services;
• Enabling us to charge your credit card and deliver your booking confirmation electronically;
• Responding to your questions or suggestions;
• Retaining information for statistical purposes so that we may improve or better direct our products and services;
• Storing information to save time when making future bookings;
• Involvement (with your consent) in our competitions and our e-Newsletter mailing list;
• Manage and develop our business and operational processes and systems;
• Conduct marketing, feedback and research activities;
• Manage and resolve any legal or commercial complaints or issues;
• Share your information with promotional partners where the consent to share your personal details is part of the terms and conditions of competition entry;
• Perform other functions and activities relating to our business; and
• Comply with our legal obligations.
In doing so we may disclose your personal information to persons or organisations in Australia and overseas including:
• Our members and Local Tourism Organisation partners;
• Our agents and service providers;
• Our professional advisers;
• Leisure and tourism service providers;
• Payment system operators and financial institutions;
• Your agents and advisers or other persons authorised by, or responsible for, you;
• Government agencies;
• Third parties whom we are authorised to represent if you acquire products or services through us;
• Third parties with whom VSC partners or works with to improve its membership, products and services offering and value;
• Other parties to whom we are authorised or required by law to disclose information;
• Other parties who have given prizes for Visit Sunshine Coast competitions and who will need your personal information for the purposes of prize delivery or fulfillment;
• In other circumstances, with your consent.
We acknowledge that you may click-through to third party sites from our website. We do not assume any responsibility for information from and content of third party sites.
How we secure your personal information
We take all reasonable steps to protect your personal information from misuse and loss and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. We store your information securely and have a range of security controls in place to ensure that your information and documents are protected. Our employees are trained on privacy and access to personal information is restricted to individuals properly authorised to do so.
We also take reasonable steps to make sure that the personal information that we collect, use and disclose is accurate, complete, up to date and relevant. We keep your personal information for only as long as it is required in order to provide you with products and services and to comply with our legal obligations. When it is no longer needed for these purposes, we take reasonable steps to destroy or permanently de-identify this personal information.
How we communicate with you
Where you provide us with an email address, we will send most communications to you by email. From time to time, we may also collect and use your personal information so that we can promote and market products and services to you and keep you informed of special offers from VSC, its members and third parties, including by direct mail, SMS and MMS messages, phone and email.
How you may access and control your personal information
You may ask whether we are keeping personal information about you by contacting us. If we have retained information on file, you may request a copy of it. You may also wish to apply to amend the information if you believe it to be incomplete, inaccurate or irrelevant.
We will generally provide you with access to your personal information if practicable (although an administration fee may be charged), and will take reasonable steps to amend any personal information about you which is inaccurate or out of date.
In some circumstances, we may not permit access to your personal information, or may refuse to correct your personal information. Where this happens, we will provide you with reasons for this decision, seek alternatives and take any further legally required steps.
Do we disclose your personal information overseas?
We may need to disclose your personal information to organisations located outside of Australia from time to time in the ordinary course of our business. Most of these overseas organisations are services providers or related entities which provide support and assistance to us in delivering products and services to you.
Where we do, we take reasonable steps to ensure that your information is given the same type of protection as it is afforded within Australia. This may be through satisfying ourselves that the overseas organisation has controls in place to comply with Australian privacy laws, ensuring that the overseas organisation is located in a country which we believe has a similar privacy regime to Australia or through contractually or otherwise mandating the adequate management of the information.
On occasion, we may also disclose your personal information to overseas organisations where you instruct us or expressly consent to us doing so. In such cases, we may not take the above steps in relation to the management of your information.
Countries to which personal information may be disclosed
Listed below are the countries to which we may disclose personal information in the course of our functions and activities. This list does not include countries where you may have specifically instructed us to send your information or expressly consented to us sending your information.
• New Zealand
• United Kingdom
• United States of America
This list is updated from time to time. You can visit this page at any time to view the latest version.
Do you have any concerns over the way we have collected, used or disclosed your personal information?
If you have any concerns or queries about the manner in which your personal information has been handled, please contact our Privacy Officer whose contact details are provided below.
If you wish to make a formal complaint, please provide your complaint in writing to our Privacy Officer. We will consider your complaint promptly and contact you to seek to resolve the matter.
Generally, we will contact you to acknowledge receipt of your complaint and let you know who is managing your query within five business days. We will attend promptly to your complaint and will aim to respond to your concerns or otherwise keep you informed of our progress within 30 days.
If we have not responded to you within a reasonable time or if your complaint is not resolved to your satisfaction, you are entitled under the Privacy Act to make a complaint to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner.
Other important information
VSC uses Google advertising programs to improve the online experience, including the display of relevant ads on external websites. These programs are pieces of text that are transferred into the memory of your computer to store preferences, record session information and collect information on how you visit and access our website. The use of these programs improves the efficiency of navigation throughout our website and assists us to provide services to you in the most convenient and prompt manner. Anyone can opt out of these programs at any time by clicking here.
Visit Sunshine Coast displays User Generated Content (UGC) from social media platforms including ; Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Google+ and YouTube on our website and other digital platforms. VSC does not claim to have ownership to any of the images, videos or content posted through these channels. However, by posting to the VSC official channels or tagging @visitsunshinecoast, @sunshinecoastoz or @sunshinecoastQLD or #visitsunshinecoast you hereby grant VSC a non-exclusive, royalty free, worldwide, revocable, non-transferable , perpetual licence to use, modify, delete from, add to, publicly display and/ or reproduce your content without limitation in any online media formats and through any social media channels, pages or accounts.
On the VSC social media channels we will credit your name and / or business name but due to technical reasons, some of the UGC shared on the website may not be credited. You can revoke this licence at any time buy contacting us via email at [email protected].
Furthermore, due to technical reasons, some of the UGC shared on the website is not always reviewed by VSC before displaying on the site and does not necessarily reflect the views of VSC. If you find the content to be inappropriate or discriminatory, please contact us at [email protected] to report the issue.
The Privacy Officer:
Visit Sunshine Coast
Email: [email protected]
Post: PO Box 9325, Pacific Paradise Queensland 4564 Australia
Telephone: 07 5458 8800